Look-Back and status update

Monday, July 14, 2008

It has been a little while since we posted an update - Brian has been a little bogged down moving to another apartment in San Fransisco, and I have been slightly derailed doing some non game related contract work to bring in some more development funds.

But here is just a little feature we got working last weekend, a "look-back" key that you can press to check out what it going on behind you. I think it will be very useful!


Zero Gear Look-Back from marshmonkey on Vimeo.

5 comments:

Ben said...

I like how the character's head actually turns as opposed to the camera just instantly facing the other direction like a lot of other games...

Brian Cronin said...

Thanks for the feedback. I am still not sure about that... It seems kind of disorienting when I do it often.

Gorion said...

Should come in very handy, also another option is to make the look back screen a bit smaller and overlay it over the current screen. So you can see where you'r going to, but also have an idea what happens behind you.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you aren't subtracting the camera velocity from the car velocity for the doppler effects. I understand this would be expensive to do for every sound, but I think it's important for the player car.

Brian Cronin said...

I still need to add the velocity to a few objects in the game (the karts engine sounds are using the velocity, but the camera isn't). Thanks for reminding me.